It is never too late to join the green movement. By going green you can reduce your carbon footprint, reduce the amount of waste you create and believe it or not, maybe even save yourself a few dollars. As Kitsilano’s premier eco-friendly dry cleaners, we would like to offer you the following ideas on how to go green this fall.
As the days get shorter and the nights get colder, you will probably end up using more energy to light and heat your home. These are some ways to conserve or even reduce energy in the fall include:
- Turn off lights in a room when you are not using them.
- Consider switching your lights to more energy efficient lights such as compact fluorescent lights (CFLs). CFL’s use about 70% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs. Incandescent means generating light from heat. This is the way light bulbs have worked since they were invented by Thomas Alva Edison.
- Or even better than CFL’s, why not switch to LED light bulbs? They cost more than CFL’s but last longer. If you run a single incandescent bulb 5 hours a day for two years, it will cost you around $32 (depending on your energy rates). Most of that money is spent on electricity. If you run a single LED bulb 5 hours a day for two years, it will cost you $12.
- Lower your thermostat or invest in a smart or programmable thermostat so that you are only heating certain rooms or using heat at certain times of the day.
- Use warm water instead of hot in your washing machine. Or even better, use cold water. Lightly soiled items come just as clean in cold water.
- Hang dry the garments you don’t bring to us, perhaps on your shower curtain rod.
Use Less Water
Living in Vancouver, it may be hard to think about conserving water as all it does is rain in the fall and winter months, but reducing the amount of water you use can save you money in the long run and will reduce your impact on the environment.
- Use shorter wash cycles on your washing machine, or invest in an eco-friendly washing machine.
- Try to shorten your shower by even a minute. I’ve heard using a wash cloth is not only better for your skin, but if you put soap on your cloth instead of on your body you can spend less time in the shower. You will not only conserve water, you will also save on your hot water bill.
- Install aerators on your taps and a low flow shower head. Both will reduce your water consumption and may come with a tax rebate, saving you money.
Cut the Plastic
Cut back on your reliance with plastic.
- Instead of plastic bags, use cloth tote bags for shopping.
- Recycle excess plastic bags so that they don’t end up in a landfill or in our oceans.
- Request paper bags when food shopping, as they are sometimes made with already recycled paper, and are easier to recycle.
- Decline plastic covers if you can do without when purchasing clothes.
One look at the cost of fuel in Vancouver will have you wondering how to conserve or get the most out of your next tank of gas.
One way is to look for companies that offer free pick-up and delivery services like we do. This will not only save you time but also help you conserve fuel. We are proud to offer a free pick-up and delivery service and our friendly and professional staff would love to be a part of your overall green initiative.
Take public transit to work and back if you can, or better yet, use a bicycle.
We are an eco-friendly cleaner that believes in the green movement. This is the only planet we have. Let’s do our best to keep it clean. All our services are aimed at not only reducing our impact on the environment but also providing you with a quality eco-friendly cleaning service.