Do you want to be a part of a growing movement and positive change? A green start to your new year is a great way to change your lifestyle, do your part for the environment and make a statement. As Kitsilano’s premier eco-friendly dry cleaners we would like to suggest the following ways that you can achieve this green goal.
Make the Switch
Take a moment and look at all of your cleaning products, soaps, shampoos and even your toothpaste. Chances are many of these products contain harsh chemicals that are not only harming the environment, they are also harming you and affecting your overall health.
When you are replacing any of these products, make sure to look for environmentally friendly items that will not affect your health. Many of these products are the same price, so making the switch will not even cost you more.
The next time you are shopping take the extra time to look at the ingredient list. Some of the more harmful chemicals that you will want to avoid include:
- Phthalates – often listed as fragrance and frequently found in hand and laundry soap and air fresheners. Try to use fragrance free or all-natural fragrances.
- 2-butoxyethanol – often found in window, kitchen and multi-purpose cleaners. Is linked to kidney and liver damage. Try using diluted vinegar or Bon Ami products with natural cleansers.
- Sodium Laurel Sulphate – found in different toothpastes. Has been tested as a pesticide but denied because of environmental damage. Use natural or sulphate free toothpaste.
Here’s the Deal:
At West Boulevard Cleaners, we understand the dangers of common household chemicals and instead of using PERC (tetrachloroethylene – which has been linked to cancer) to clean your clothes, we use an high tech eco-friendly product that will not harm you, your family or the environment. We use very special cleaning products formulated to commercially clean your garments with water, better and more safely with water than with harmful chemicals.
For household uses such as washing your hands we recommend a mild liquid soap without phosphates. You can also use it for washing dishes when washing by hand. 17 states in the USA have banned phosphates from dishwasher detergents because they pollute lakes, bays and streams. They create algae blooms and starve fish of oxygen.
Lower your Emissions
One of the major contributors to climate change is greenhouse gases. You can reduce your global footprint and reduce your emissions by driving less. There are many ways that you can accomplish this goal.
- Walk or cycle to the grocery store if it is near your home.
- Use public transportation to commute to work.
- Use carpooling when commuting.
- Switch to an electric car to reduce your emissions to zero.
At West Boulevard Cleaners, we offer a free pick-up and delivery service for all your cleaning needs. Not only will this save you a car trip or two, it will free up some extra time in your day. Let us help you reduce your carbon footprint and clear your schedule.
A greener approach to your life is a positive change and a great New Year’s goal. By replacing harmful chemicals in your house, you will not only be helping the environment, you will also be making a switch to a healthier lifestyle for you and your family. Stop by or contact us today and see how our eco-friendly services can help you achieve your green New Year’s goals. We look forward to seeing you soon.