We are lucky to call Vancouver home. This magnificent city boasts an unparalleled geographical backdrop ringed by mountains and is surrounded by the Pacific Ocean. Vancouver also attracts a multicultural population, which offers a host of international cuisines and unique cultural neighbourhoods. The city is also Canada’s greenest city and continues to make great strides in this area.
As the premier eco-friendly professional cleaners in Vancouver, we are proud to be a part of this green movement and would like to offer this brief overview as to why Vancouver’s green movement makes it the most sought after Canadian city to call home.
Vancouver’s Green Action Plan
The Greenest City Action Plan (GCAP) is Vancouver’s sustainability initiative to make the city the greenest city in the World by 2020. This plan focuses on 3 primary topics:
- Reduction of carbon.
- Reduce overall landfill waste with a goal of 0 waste.
- Increase and diversify various ecosystems within the city.
Currently, the city feels that it has hit about 80% of the targets that they have set to achieve. Some of the highlights of the targets that have been met include:
- Greenhouse gas emissions have been reduced by 7% within the city which is an 18% decrease since 2007 (www.vancouver.ca/greenvancouver).
- Newly constructed buildings in the city use 50% less energy than those built in other parts of the province. (www.vancouver.ca/greenvancouver).
- 76% of the waste created by the construction of new buildings and the demolition of old ones is recycled. This goal however is still a ways away from the 0 waste goal set by the city.
The city continues to win awards for its bold environmental initiatives and is currently seen as the third greenest city in the world behind Copenhagen and Stockholm.
The Vancouver Lifestyle
The Vancouver lifestyle goes hand in hand with this green initiative and approach. Many of the city’s residents enjoy nature’s playground that can be found throughout the city. From skiing to watersports and hiking, Vancouver has it all.
Arts and culture aficionados enjoy the countless festivals that have become an iconic part of Vancouver’s cultural scene and include:
- Vancouver International Film Festival.
- Vancouver International Jazz Festival.
- Vancouver Folk Music Festival.
Vancouver is also home to internationally recognized cuisine and offers a wide selection of fresh, organic food choices that goes hand in hand with the green image of Vancouver. One trip to Granville Island will show you why Vancouver’s lifestyle is a sought after one.
As part of the Vancouver business community as well as a resident of this beautiful city, we offer a quality, sustainable product that is environmentally friendly. Our eco-friendly professional cleaning services are an excellent alternative to traditional dry cleaning and will keep all your clothes looking like new and free of dangerous chemicals and solvents. So, the next time you are looking for a friendly, professional cleaning service drop into either our Kerrisdale or Kitsilano locations, and be a part of Vancouver’s green future. I hope to see you soon.